Thursday, November 4, 2010

Worthy Pursuits...

So here I am on day four in a row...I am truly enjoying taking the time to do this in the evenings before bed. I took this picture yesterday while driving to a job site...I thought the sky was simply beautiful...


I'd like to share a link to another blog, that I would encourage you to follow...
http://www.aholyexperience.com/2010/11/time-to-return-to-your-first-love-make-a-commitment-booklet/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+HolyExperience+(Holy+Experience)
This link will take you to a specific entry that I found to be so challenging that I don't even know how to describe it. Take a moment and go read it (hold down your ctrl button while clicking the link and you won't even have to leave my page...) before reading the rest of my post...hers is much better anyway...

When I read this, I was filled with conviction about my own utter lack of scripture committed to memory. I mean sure, I can pop off a paraphrase of a scripture (without its reference) to make a point, but actual number of scriptures committed to memory for total recall is quite lacking. When the Bible says in Psalm 119:11 "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." it gives us a clue about defeating temptation, avoiding sin, and having faith in difficult times. Paul reminds us 2 Timothy 3:16 that "All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness" and yet we don't take the time to learn it. I am convinced that I need to step up to the plate and start committing God's word to my heart. I love the resources mentioned in the above blog to help with the memorization. I think I might just have to go out and order some moleskin notebooks and start working on the book of Ephesians soon.

I entitled this entry Worthy Pursuits (plural) so let me move on to the second pursuit of the evening. Back in July I challenged myself to lose 30 pounds by November 1st. I was at the heaviest I have ever been in my life and I was tired of it. To date I have lost 22 lbs and have changed my goal to simply getting down to 175 lbs. I don't know about you, but I hate working out...running, walking, lifting, aerobics, you name it I think I dislike it. So losing weight is a matter of changing my diet. I have found a great tool in this arena. www.caloriecount.com is a great resource if you are trying to lose weight. You simply tell the system how active you are, and it will tell you how many calories you burn each day approx. It will then tell you how many calories you can eat in a day and still lose weight. great tool...but the thing that helps me the most is that it will keep track of your caloric intake if you tell it everything you eat.

I have found that simply knowing how many calories I can consume, and approximately how many calories I can eat helps me monitor myself fairly well. I wish I had discovered this web site back in July rather than mid September. I might have gotten closer to my 30 lbs by now. However I press on toward the goal, and hopefully by the beginning of the year I will have met or surpassed my goal.

2 comments:

  1. I can say memorizing scripture changes my perspective on everything when I am actually doing it. I can't say I have much, but I remember last summer when I was trying to memorize James. I got to the last chapter and don't know why I quit...I will get back to it...Thanks for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided to start the book of Ephesians on Monday...I think Kathy is going to do it with me.

    ReplyDelete