Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sleep

Riley Armstrong recorded a song several years ago called "Sleep". It's all about how he never gets enough sleep. If you've never heard, you should look it up...it's quirky. I tend to stay up way later than I ought to. It's amazing to me how quickly an evening disappears. I get home around 5, we make dinner, eat and spend some time playing with Addie. By the time the kids are in bed and Kathy and I have time to relax, it's usually after 9. Spend a couple of hours on our own pursuits, and then it's after 11 when I go to bed. I remember a time (college) when staying up till midnight, 1 am didn't even phase me. Now-a-days I feel like I've been hit by a truck next morning if I stay up past 11:30...and it is now 11:49...what does that say about my brain...why am I writing at this time of night..

I love sleep. However, I like spending time with my wife, surfing the net, watching movies, reading, even cooking. Do you ever find yourself with not enough time to accomplish what you want to accomplish? But then, I think about the things I want to accomplish in the evening and I realize that other than spending time with my wife and children, all the other stuff is pretty much useless. We fill our lives with things...stay up way past our bedtimes...to accomplish things that are meaningless. It's vanity, a chasing after the wind according to Ecclesiastes. Maybe we would all sleep a little bit better and be a bit more fulfilled if we spent our time  "accomplishing things" that grow our relationships, with others and with God...

No comments:

Post a Comment