Friday, November 5, 2010

Date Night and Christmas Music

While date nights and Christmas music do not normally go together, they are the two topics on my mind this evening.

Thanks to my parents, Kathy and I got to spend the evening child-free. I must say that even though I truly love and enjoy my kids, it is great to get away and spend a couple of hours alone with my wife. we went to eat and then went to walmart and simply wandered around. You don't realize how stressful it is to go out to a restaurant and to wander walmart when you have two little ones with you...Well some of you do. I love my wife more than she may realize sometimes, and I know I don't say it often enough. If you have someone special in your life make sure you tell them often. (by the by...great time to buy candy at walmart...all the halloween candy is half off)

On to Christmas music...I know many people will think this strange, but I have been listening to my Christmas music for almost a month now. You see I grew up this way. My mother has never been a big fan of halloween. When we were growing up we started listening to Christmas music about the time that stores started putting out costumes, and skulls, and tombstones. I guess she preferred to skip ahead a bit and focus on a more important holiday. (don't get me wrong, we still dressed up and went trick-or-treating etc...)

As Kathy and I drove home from our date tonight we were listening to some Christmas tunes, and I started thinking about how many of the songs we consider "Christmas Classics" have nothing to do with Jesus. I myself and guilty of occasionally skipping songs like "O Holy Night" and "Away in a Manger" for secular favorites like "The Christmas Song" and "White Christmas." Not that there is anything wrong with these songs, but I was thinking about how easy it is for us to put Christ aside as we get ready to celebrate the holiday season. I love the Christmas season more than any other time of year. I love spending time with family, giving and receiving gifts, eating large portions of turkey and dressing, etc... But I don't want to focus solely on those things. I don't want my daughter to think that is what Christmas is all about. I want her to understand that we celebrate Christmas to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ as a tiny baby, sent to this earth to die for our sins. It's never to early in the year to remind ourselves of this...

6 For to us a child is born, 
   to us a son is given, 
   and the government will be on his shoulders. 
And he will be called 
   Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, 
   Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 
7 Of the greatness of his government and peace 
   there will be no end. 
He will reign on David’s throne 
   and over his kingdom, 
establishing and upholding it 
   with justice and righteousness 
   from that time on and forever. 
The zeal of the LORD Almighty 
   will accomplish this.
Isaiah 9:6-7

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post Jeremy, I am realy enjoying this little insight into your mind. It's been very fun to read!

    ReplyDelete