Saturday, January 8, 2011

Job Interview and Leading Worship

   First and foremost, I apologize for the long break between posts...between holidays and simply being busy, I simply haven't taken the time to write.

   As you might have guessed from the title, I am currently being considered for a position as Associate Pastor of Worship and Community. I had my first interview with the pastor over the phone a month and a half ago, and my first interview with the full search committee this past Wednesday. After the interview, the committee decided to continue pursuing me for the position and thus, this coming Sunday, January 16th I will be leading the worship service at this church.
  
   Kathy and I are very excited about this possible job and we are praying very hard for God's peace and direction for our lives. We covet your prayers as well. As things progress, I will be keeping you posted via the blog if you are interested.

   The interview this past Wednesday was possibly the most enjoyable interview I've ever been a part of. It was light-hearted and conversational while still delving into the questions that the committee had. I would encourage anyone who is ever on a search committee for a church to consider adopting this style of interviewing. Don't take yourselves so seriously that the person sitting across from you wonders how many lemons you've had today. I'm not advocating cracking jokes at every opportunity and disregarding the tough questions that need to be answered in order to know if a candidate is right for your church. However I am suggesting that you allow some levity to breach the occasion. Be open and honest and show the person you are interviewing your heart (and hopefully the heart of the church). It sure put me at ease and allowed me to see a bit of the personality of the church. I think sometimes we Christians take ourselves a bit too seriously and forget that Jesus came to give us an abundant life.

1 comment:

  1. That is wonderful Jeremy! I'm so glad that the interview went well! I hope that Sunday goes smoothly and that they make the right decision regarding your employment. Of course I think they would be silly not to hire you :) but different churches need different kinds of people I suppose. I really do hope everything works out though, it sounds like a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete