Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Christian Hip-Hop

   Do you listen to rap music? I tune in the rap station every once in a while to laugh at the inane lyrics (look how much money I've got, how many girls I've got, how sweet a ride I've got, how many haters I've got, etc) and then usually change the station after a song or two because I find the other lyrics so objectionable. However, I simply love the beats. I'm fascinated by the way the words can flow off of a person's tongue with such ease and speed. If I thought I could even get close to accomplishing it, I would attempt to rap once in a while just for the fun of it (this is not possible however as I seem incapable of speaking so many words, so quickly...much like it's impossible for me to break dance even though I would love to be able to do that as well).

   Since I find the style so fascinating and enjoyable, I have always kept an eye out for good Christian rappers. I thought I'd share a few of my favorites. (even if you don't like rap, you might know someone who does and thus you could suggest a couple of these artists and save their ears from being assaulted with filth from listening to the secular stuff)

  KJ-52--This guy isn't your average hard-core gansta rap. Actually he is what I would be if I had the guts and talent to attempt it. He's fun, witty, and he doesn't take himself too seriously. In fact he is just a bit of a goofball. However, He loves Jesus and knows how to bust a serious rhyme pointing to the Savior and our need for Him. I like pretty much all of his music.
   T-Bone--Here's a bit more of a gansta rapper. West coast style, rapid fire word slinging. T-bone can put more words out in a verse than some guys get into a whole song. If your into the west coast rap he's the guy to check out. Favorite album here is called "Gospelalphamega"...good stuff.
   Pettidee--found this guy while I was a youth minister. Dirty South style rap with the gruff low voice. Awesome beats, and powerful lyrics about how God can change a life. He raps about loving and being faithful to his wife, about standing up for God with your life, and he confronts other rappers who act "hard" just to sell a record. His albums "Thug Love" and "Resurrections" are both very good.
   Le'crae and Trip Lee--These are two artists I have just started listening to. Both of these guys have a sound that could be found on any secular rap station. The beats are amazing and the sound production is top notch. Both speak of pasts that are less than praiseworthy, but which God has turned around. Both preach of God's saving power in a life and their desire to be a positive influence in this world. The word of God is evident in the lyrics of these two men and I think anyone who took the time to digest the lyrics would be encouraged and challenged.

    Random post huh? If you don't like rap, and you don't know anybody who does, sorry for wasting your time. Next time I do a music post maybe I'll highlight some of my favorite worship leaders (since I'm possibly going to be one). I know some people think rap music is just noise, but scripture does say to make a joyful noise unto the Lord...these artists proclaim the name of Jesus to the world. Have a good night and I'll see you next time...

1 comment:

  1. Texans do have trouble speaking rapidly. It doesn't help that they make one syllable words 2 and 3 syllables. I don't listen to rap because my ears can't listen that fast!

    ReplyDelete