Sunday, January 16, 2011

First-Time Choir Director

   Well...rehearsal on Thursday went pretty smoothly for this guy who'd never been in charge of directing a choir and small orchestral group. Not prefect by any means, but not bad. There are a lot more challenges to leading a group this size as compared to leading a small praise band. All of my experience in the past has been either leading worship by myself with a guitar or with a small praise band. So, while I have lots of experience leading worship, I got a crash course this past week in leading a bigger group. Fortunately, this group of musicians and singers were very gracious. We had a few hiccups during the rehearsal but nothing major. Overall, it was an enjoyable time.

   The actual service this morning went quite smoothly. While there will always be room for improvement, I felt like we accomplished leading into worship. I am still very excited about this job possibility. While I discovered this week that I will have a lot to learn before I will be completely proficient at leading a group in this way, I am hoping that God will lead us here. This seems to be a very welcoming and strong congregation. However, I am also trying to remember that My plans are not God's plans, and that if He does not lead us here, he will lead us where he wants us to go. I desire to serve God should not be dependent upon a location. Please be in prayer for us as we wait. I think the waiting to hear is one of the hardest parts of this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment