Thursday, March 3, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

   Are you ready for the 17th? Not that it is a holiday that means much. Lots of green, leprechauns, clovers, and beer. When you are growing up, you try to pinch people who don't wear green on this day (some of us still do). But what is this holiday about? I haven't researched the beginnings of St Patrick's Day, so this is not going to be educational in that way, but I have done some studying about who St. Patrick was. Here is some of what I've learned...
  
   Patrick was real (and no he wasn't a leprechaun, nor did he catch a leprechaun in order to steal his gold). He was an English born young man who was kidnapped (some say simply sold) into slavery by Irish marauders. He spent many years as a slave in Ireland until he escaped and found his way back to Britain. Once home he became a Christian and entered into a monastery. While there he felt God calling him back to Ireland, this time as a missionary. He went and started a movement away from the nature worshiping druid religion that was prevalent and leading people to Christ. (It is also commonly rumored that he drove all snakes from Ireland, though nothing I've read can substantiate that.) It is believed that he used the 3-leaf clover to explain to the trinity to people. He led many people to Christ and started several churches despite stout opposition.

   I don't know about you, but I think it is much more interesting to celebrate the life of a man who went back to his former captors/masters to tell them about Jesus, than to wear green underwear and drink green beer. I know the 17th is still a few days away, but I thought I'd share this now so that you could be aware when the day got here. The picture above is of a fictional book based upon the known facts of Patrick's life. I enjoyed it greatly. However, it is not where I got my information.

   I will be wearing green on the 17th in case you're wondering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment