Monday, May 16, 2011

Book Review for “Time with God for Fathers” by Jack Countryman

I joined BookSneeze several months ago and I am just now getting around to finishing my first book and posting a review. So here it is. 


   When I first picked this book up to start reading, I was expecting a good daily devotional. I’m not sure it delivers very well on that count for me. There are 95 days worth of readings, and each has a scripture and a short inspirational/devotional/challenging thought relating to the scripture. At the end of the book there are several great reference lists to help you find passages of scripture dealing with various topics.
   I found some of the daily writings to be challenging, or at least thought provoking. However when it comes down to it, more often than not I found them to be a bit dry or overly simplistic. Occasionally I felt that the inspirational thought didn’t really connect with the scripture used. Because of this, I often had no desire to pick it up and read the next day’s writing. More often than not I would read two or three pages in a row in an attempt to hurry the book along so I could read something else.
   In the end I don’t think that I would recommend this book if you are looking for something to truly grow your walk with God. On the positive side, it is beautifully bound and would be a great book to have on an end table or coffee table where guests might pick it up and read a couple of pages out of curiosity. It could also be a great gift for a young Christian who is a Dad and could use something simply to start looking at God’s truths in scripture for Fathers.

   I am reviewing this book for BookSneeze who provided me with a complimentary copy. My opinions are my own and in no way reflect the opinions of Booksneeze. 

No comments:

Post a Comment